Friday, September 23, 2011

Thursday, September 22

Two of the flipcharts on the wall in our classroom
On Thursday, September 22, I instructed our class. With graduate school starting, I went into work feeling frazzled, then on the way to work my breaks went out. I was not feeling very positive or inspired. After instructing my class, and interacting with my students all of that changed. I can't explain/put into words how much this experience is impacting my life as a teacher and a person.
We covered a drill for after lesson 13 and lesson 14.
In our drill we focused on a short vowel review by using a student worksheet. I read words aloud, and asked my students to give the sound in each closed syllable and then to read the syllable.
baf, diz, fod, han, jez, ket, lum, nib, med, rup, pov, zog, tep, suf, lab.
To work on listening, I read three syllables aloud, and each student was asked to circle the syllable I read. They were instructed to pay close attention to the vowel sound.
1) fib, fab, fed
2) pom, pem, pim
3) sil, sel, sul
4) maf, mof, muf
5) niz, nez, naz
6) vit, vut, vot
To work on writing, I read allowed three syllables, and asked them to write them.
1) zog
2) nup
3) teb
We worked independently, and then worked together on the board.
To work on contrast reading we utilized a student worksheet.
The worksheet had words that shared the same initial and final sounds, but different vowels. We read together for the first couple of columns, then each person had to read aloud independently.
lid, lad, led Dad, did, dud ten, tin, tan pig, pug, peg rod, red, rid bet, bat, but, bit
bed, bad, bud, bid beg, bag, bug, big ham, hem, him, hum pet, pat, pot, pit Dan, den, don, din
To practice spelling, I read syllables, asked my students to echo then, identify the rowel sound of the word, and to spell the vowel sound, then spell and write the word.
let, lug, mab, gob, rab, fim, tof
hum, lam, tim, kib, lob, siv
We then read sentences and wrote them out.
1) He ran to get the mad pup.
2) Get the bug out of the jam!
3) Rip the hem of the bib.
4) The fox had its cub in the den.
5) Don his a tin can in the hut.
We then covered lesson 14.
In lesson 14, we practiced alphabetizing, and rhyme. We alphabetizing five words together on the board. We practiced rhyming by hearing two words and then creating three more words that rhymed with them.
We then learned about Consonant Blends, which are : two or more adjacent consonants whose sounds blend smoothly together.

the "r" blend family = gr, cr, dr, fr, tr, pr, br
We practiced our letters with our reading deck, naming the letters, keywords, and sounds. We emphasized on consonant blends and utilized a student worksheet. We learned more high frequency words : run, end, left, help, next and more learned words : from. America, Texas.
I also introduced the students to commands which gives an order. It always begins with a capital letter and ends with a period.
We practiced spelling by writing out words and focused on k and c in initial and medial position. We practiced with another student worksheet.
Rule : K before e, and i
C before a, o, u, and any consonant.
Observing my students communucation skills are very interesting. Also, the interpersonal relationship and connection I am building with a lot of them is awesome. After class, I usually stay to talk with them about their lives and what is going on with them. Having these students has been an amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment