Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 4


As I sat at work today, I felt feelings of nervousness and excitement. August is just around the corner, this means that my class starts soon!

Today I sent out letters to the students I called last week about our next screening on August 2nd. It really amazes me how many people in our community are in need of literacy assistance. Not having the skill of literacy would be like trying to navigate a dark room without a light. Think about your everyday life, and how many times you read something.

Try this exercise for the day:
Take a small pad of paper and a pen along with you for the day. Every time you read something, anything at all, put a tally mark on your pad of paper. At the end of the day, count all your tallies. This will really make you realize how many times you utilize your reading skills, and how much literacy and reading skills impact people on a day-to-day basis.

After I stuffed the envelopes with all the information about the screening, I watched more of the lessons I will be teaching, and made a phone call to a potential adult student. Not only will I be obtaining pedagogical skills during my time here, I am also gaining organizational and leadership skills.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment