Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 3


Today was a good day! I woke up feeling energized and excited. Got to see Bon Iver in concert in Indy last night, it's amazing how much music can impact the soul and ignite passion.

I arrived to LNGC and got to work. I put together the letters to my students to mail to them, and burn each lesson onto CD's for the other ABRP instructor to have. After I sealed all the letters, and got all the 45 lessons burnt onto CD's, I called the other students on our ABRP waiting list.
People call our Literacy Link Hotline (513-621-7323) if they feel like they need help with literacy skills, of if they know someone who needs help. From these calls we can gather people's needs and either help them through out services or refer them to other locations in Cincinnati who provide literacy and other educational classes.

I had about 25 calls to make to see if people could make it to our next screening.
Before a student enrolls in a level 1 or level 2 class, they must attend a screening session. At the screening we administer four reading tests to see what level they should be placed in. From there, they are either placed in the level 1 or 2 class or referenced elsewhere

Our next screening session will be held on August 2nd, with three sessions at 1, 2, and 3pm. Out of the 25 phone calls, I got 10 confirmed students.

Making the phone calls and interacting with the students is one of the most eye-opening experiences. It was so great to speak with students who are eager and ready to get class going.

On my drive home, I was reflecting on my life, and thought "DAMN, how great it is to help others." Then I thought, if everyone in the world would just pay it forward, and help one other person daily, we could make some BIG changes.

"We need to be the change we wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment